contact us

Firm Story

In 1996 Dan Holbrook and Marshall Peterson set out to create a law firm to serve as a center of excellence in estate planning and related legal services in East Tennessee, devoted to helping individuals, families and businesses plan for the future. More recently, the firm expanded its practice to provide a wider range of litigation and transactional services.

The firm opened for business on January 1, 1997, in downtown Knoxville at One Centre Square on Market Street. Within a few years, Ed Smith became a partner and the firm ultimately was renamed Holbrook Peterson Smith PLLC.

In late 1998, in need of more space and plentiful free parking for clients and staff, the firm moved to Tyson Place, the historic Tyson Junior High School building located at the edge of the University of Tennessee campus and near Sequoyah Hills. Although the building had served as a working school from 1938 to 1986, once the school closed it had sat derelict and subject to vandalism. Fortunately for the firm, local entrepreneur Sam Furrow thought that the old school was worth saving. Through a historic preservation grant, the 1930s building was renovated extensively and repurposed for professional office space.

As a firm, we recognize the talent of our attorneys and employees. We work to support the relationships that each of us has in our community. Members of our team serve as trustees, authors, members of Boards of Directors, and on ethics committees. We volunteer our time and provide pro bono services to those in need. We love our work as trusted advisors and advocates and are honored to provide a wide range of quality legal services to individuals and businesses with interests in Tennessee.

copyright ©2017 Holbrook Peterson Smith PLLC